Monday, July 27, 2009
Using Art to Brighten Up Your Home
by Nancy Noel May
You've just moved into a new home and are looking at blank walls. Displaying your artwork and photos can be overwhelming, to say the least. Where to start? Don't worry. It's not as daunting as it seems. I'll walk you through some simple steps to get you started.
"Salon style" hanging is an exciting way to display your artwork and involves creating collections of artworks. Refer to the photos of Marlene and Ivan White's home to see how grouping different art can result in a pleasing arrangement.
This isn't about matching your sofa! Be prepared to try something different. Consider a unifying theme or style. Try grouping all of the paintings that have red or those with a coastal theme, for instance. It is not necessary to match frame colors and styles.
The garage is a great place to work on your wall arrangements-back out the car, sweep the floor and get ready to create a new layout.
1. It's helpful to write down the wall measurements and note window and door placements.
2. Bring out all of your paintings and photos and prop them up against the walls of the garage. Now you can see what you have to work with.
3. Use a piece of chalk to make a rough outline on the floor of your wall, including the doors and windows. Then you can lay out the artwork until you find what you like.
4. Once you have an arrangement, sketch out your diagram on paper. You may also want to cut out pieces of newspaper to the size of each painting. Use a straight pin to put them up on your wall, referring to your diagram.
5. Repeat this process for each wall, keeping in mind what is hanging on adjacent walls. The room should feel cohesive.
6. Contact us at Spectrum. For an hourly fee, I can come out and display your collection for you. Is something missing? Need a special item to complete the look? Visit our website at www.spectrumartandjewelry.com or stop in the store to see all of the paintings currently available in the gallery.