Monday, November 9, 2009

Art Star of the Week: Eric McRay


Star here: I first met Eric McRay at an Open Studio Event in Raleigh many years ago. As I recall, he was speaking on the phone as I admired his work. I was about to slip out of the studio, when he finished his call, looked up with a smile, and asked me: “So, what’s your favorite?” To paraphrase that line from Jerry Maguire: He had me at ‘So…’
A wonderful professional working relationship was born from that first conversation. As to choosing a favorite, that’s a tough thing to do. I admire Eric’s use of pure color and his splashy, playful style. Here’s a little more insight into the expressive Eric McRay:

Star: Describe yourself in three words.
Eric McRay: Ambitious, Passionate, and Independent

Star: What other jobs have you held besides artist?
Eric McRay: Personal Financial Analyst, Computer Salesman, and Housekeeping Supervisor.

Star: Who are your major influences?
Eric McRay: Picasso, Andy Warhol, Matisse, Romare Bearden, Robert Motherwell, and Peter Max.

Star: In what other areas of your life do you let your artistry shine?
Eric McRay: Gardening.

Star: What’s your guilty pleasure?
Eric McRay: Reading comic books.

Star: If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
Eric McRay: A robot body so I would never have to sleep or eat. I could perpetually make art.

Star: What’s your personal motto?
Eric McRay: “A man’s reach should exceed his grasp”.

Star: Complete this sentence: My life is…
Eric McRay:…a dream come true.

Star: How about this one? Art is…
Eric McRay:… my life.

Star: What’s the best advice you could give to a new artist?
Eric McRay: Develop a thick skin, be disciplined, and never give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment